While I thoroughly enjoy the entire state of Minnesota, I do believe there are a few shiny gems everyone should know about, Minneapolis being one of my favorites. Whether you live in Minneapolis, surrounding suburbs, rural Minnesota, or are planning your first visit, Minneapolis is a must-stop for incredible food, culture, and amazing neighborhoods that are definitely worth fussing over.
It’s a foodie’s dream, with so many diverse and delicious options, all while being home to some of the top chefs in the country! But don’t skip the arts and culture scene with a vibrant mix of renowned theatres, museums, and music venues. In the summertime. you can kickback at a Twins game or walk around one of the numerous lakes in the City of Lakes!
To get you even more inspired to explore the beautiful city, I’ve partnered with Meet Minneapolis to highlight some of my personal favorite neighborhoods in Minneapolis. Stay tuned as I continue to add to this list too 🙂 or drop me an email about the next neighborhood you’d like to see featured!
Starting with one of the largest neighborhoods, Northeast is quite the gem itself. It’s vibrant in the art and craft beer scene and it truly is the mecca for local art, breweries, eclectic shops, great food, and a close-knit community! Up next is the charming neighborhood of Linden Hills – it’s so walkable and you’ll love its easy access to Lake Harriet. The coffee, shopping, and food scene is 5 stars around here! Lastly, we’ll end in the small strip of Kingfield(off Nicollet Ave). Boasting with character you’ll find lots of amazing eats here as well and some fun new neighborhood finds! Keep reading for where to
shop, eat, drink and explore in each of these great Minneapolis neighborhoods.
- PlantyQueens– Modern plant house, PlantyQueens houses an array of household plants, and the shop is set up from front to back, with the plants needing the most to least sunlight. The gals on hand are super helpful but also it’s a great gift shop for the plant lover in your life!
- Tare Market– A zero waste and (re)fill shop, Tare Market has home, personal care, and grocery goods all in one spot with bulk options available too!
- Roseline’s Place – A unique gift shop with locally made items + candle-making classes. Roseline’s Candles are an anchor item there and they are one of my new favorite candles!
- I Like You – A shop boasting over 300 local MN artists and creators, I Like You is a true OG for handmade goods from Minnesota makers – there truly is something for everyone there!
Eat & Drink
- Elusive – Botanical Cocktail bar featuring crafted cocktails and spirit-free options. A really vibey spot that’s great for date night or after-work drinks!
- Pilllar Forum– Coffee + skate + community combined in this cozy corner shop. High quality coffee and great skate merchandise – you can also catch live music happenings here too!
- Earl Giles Distillery- Food & beverage emporium with lots of plants! Numerous crafted cocktails (with non-alcohol options too) and phenomenal pizza!
- Indeed Brewing – A staple brewhouse in NE, this was my first introduction to the craft beer scene! Check their website for fun events and try their new THC beverage too!
- Vivir- A Mexican cafe, market, & bakery attached to Centro (also right across from Indeed). The coffee, yuca fries, and the guava rolls happen to be my personal favorites! Pass through the hallway to Cetro for great tacos and margs on tap too!
- MN Nice Cream – Playful soft serve with fun toppings – this is THE place to go for the happiest ice cream cone in Minnesota!
Make sure to visit Northrup King Building or the Solar Arts Building– two of the most iconic buildings in NE to see artists showcase their work! Art-A-Whirl is the annual art crawl, which happens every May and is also one of the best weekends to experience in Northeast! First Thursdays is another great option to explore and discover new artists during their open studios too!
- Didi Dada – a sister duo-owned shop, Didi Dada is more like an artist’s outpost in this beautiful new shop in Linden Hills! From jewelry to textiles to wellness products and otherworldly finds, this space is a work of art that supports local makers and artists.
- Victory Vintage – Part grand foyer, part flea market, You can get lost amongst the many amazing gems in Victory Vintage! From the books to the knick-knacks and amazing trinkets, you never know what you might find in every nook and cranny here.
- Brown & Greene Floral – a beautiful plant and floral shop, Brown and Greene may or may not have your next new house plant that you most definitely need 🙂
- Comma Bookshop – consider this your literary playground! The new bookshop has a great hand-picked selection of books from owner, Victoria. She is always so warm and friendly and ready to chat all things Minnesota and books anytime.
Eat & Drink
- Cafe Ceres – Come for the coffee but stay for the pastries! With renowned pastry chef Shawn McKenzie as a co-owner and head pastry chef, these delectable bites are not to be missed! The croissants, the muffins, the Turkish bagels, oh my!
- Jones Coffee – A new kid on the block, Jones is a local roastery and coffee shop offering specialty drinks, high-quality coffee and light pastries and bites. Their Seasonal drinks are always something to get excited about!
- Turtle Bread Company – Not just bread, but artisanal bread, pastries, soups, sandwiches, and much more! A must-stop for a warm neighborhood feel with fresh and tasty dishes.
- Sebastian Joes – Homemade ice cream and cones that really hit the spot on a hot summer day. They use fresh ingredients and keep an eye on their rotating fresh and fun flavors. They always have something fun up their sleeves with their names and concoctions!
- Rosalia Pizza – Enjoy some of the best woodfired pizza in this modern cozy space with a great patio for summer months! It’s great for date night or a dinner out with friends. Try their burrato or my personal favorite the Sicilia for a little kick!
- Wooden Ship Brewing – Linden’s Hills only brewery, check their website for pop up food trucks and their rotating menu of what’s on tap! They definitely have fun with flavors and their indoor/outdoor patio seating is great for spring and summer.
- Walk Lake Harriet – One thing I love is how walkable Linden Hills is and how easy it is to get to the lake and the great trail that loops around it!
- See a show at the Bandshell – The Lake Harriet Bandshell has quite the summer series for fun concerts and events so make sure to check their website for the latest!
- Linden Hills Farmers Market – another great option, this seasonal market is a small and intimate market but has a plethora of vendors! From hot breakfast options, to farm-raised meat, local produce, baked goods and more this quaint market is a favorite!
- Roadrunner Records – A vinyl shop selling new and used records with great local artist selection. They’ve been in business for over 34 years!
- Kruse Markit – Local market offering provisions, beer + wine, and dine-in options along with coffee and a selection of grab-and-go foods. Their Blueberry maple latte is so tasty!
- Tower Games– Curated selection of the best board games and card collectible games.
Eat & Drink
- Boludo – Traditional empanadas and pizza in a cozy nook – their classic pepperoni is officially my new obsession!
- Five Watt Coffee– A favorite local coffee shop featuring classic and unique specialty drinks. They make a lot of syrups and drink in house and always come up with fun seasonal beverages!
- Petite Leon – A neighborhood restaurant serving up local and fresh menu items with crafted cocktails. Definitely try their burger!
- Nighthawks– Modern takes on classic diner fare, plus wine and local brews. A great late night spot or for date night!
- Revival – Fried chicken & other classic southern comfort foods served in relaxed surroundings. Their smoked meats really can’t be missed too!
Kingfield Farmer’s Market is one of my personal favorites! It kicks off mid May and runs through October at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Park.
I hope this got you feeling excited and inspired to go see what all the fuss is about in Minneapolis!