If you’re looking to cure your cabin fever, head to Grand View Lodge for an epic winter escape! When January settles in and the true winter begins sometimes it’s hard to embrace it but one thing that cures my winter blues is always a little getaway. Because if you are a true Minnesotan, chances are you will embrace winter at LEAST once this year.When weather can be unpredictable, I like to keep my getaways around 2 hours so one of my most recommended locations to visit from the cities is the Brainerd Lakes area – more specifically Nisswa, because well, it’s a cute little town and is home to Grand View Lodge.
Location + Lodging
Just a few minutes off the main road, Grand View Lodge is one of my resorts in all of Minnesota. There is really something for EVERYONE for any time of year. The nice thing about Grand View is the multiple options of Lodging too! They have an array of cabins, cottages, homes, and lodge rooms on their main property as well as a brand new boutique hotel called the North, which is where we stayed! Off their main property, they also have townhomes, condos, and cabins on the golf course, neighboring beaches, and Lakes too! For me personally, I always love staying on the main property as it’s close to all the action! I have stayed in a lodge room, a small cabin, and recently, a modern hotel room at the North.
The North is a 60 room boutique-style hotel and I think it’s great for a weekend escape or even hosting events too! It has a cozy yet modern design, really pulling on the trendy Scandinavian design. Each room has spacious bathrooms, workspaces, and comfortable resting areas! On-site, there are 4 meeting/conference rooms, a bright and spacious open lobby with a grand fireplace, and Brew, which is their coffee, beer + wine, lounge! It was so convenient grabbing a latte on the way out for our daily adventures.
One thing that Grand View doesn’t lack is the AMENITIES! And with the season changes, there is never a lack of amenities and activities for each season. In the winter, you can look forward to ice rinks, winter bonfires, Horse-drawn carriage rides, Igloo dining, and more! I was able to experience all of those on my recent visit. Now since the property offers so much I figured I’d break it down for you!
Grand View offers several dining options and atmospheres to cater to you and your family.
- Grand Breakfast – I love to start my day with the Grand Breakfast at the Main Lodge. It’s a breakfast buffet style and the spread is phenomenal. There’s an omelet station, fresh pastries + fruit bar, hot breakfast including pancakes, french toast, bacon, eggs, sausage, breakfast potatoes, and more!
- Northwoods Pub – For a more casual affair for lunch or dinner, there is the Northwoods Pubs, located on the lower level of the Main Lodge. On the weekend they do take out pizza, but otherwise, you can get your typical sandwiches and burgers there.
- Igloo Dining (Winter Only) – In the winter, they also feature their cozy igloos which is a MUST! Definitely make a reservation as they fill up fast! It’s a $50 rental fee and you can have up to 6 people in the Igloo. You can do drinks and light bites from the Northwoods pub, or you can order from their special Igloo menu featuring several delicious boards! (Think group s’mores and charcuterie!) Note – you have to order 24 hours in advance!
- Char – For a little more upscale dining, head to Char – their steakhouse on property. Located in the Main Lodge, you can cozy up next to the fireplace or have an intimate dinner in a quiet corner. Char features premium steaks, along with local fish & produce. Come here for a delicious meal and drink featuring Minnesota beer& spirits.
- Seasonal – In the summertime, you can also find some seasonal specialty bars + restaurants around Grand View featuring their outside patio On the Rocks, or their beachside Cantina.
One thing that Grand View has down is its activities. Each season they offer a plethora of indoor and outdoor activities. Check their website to peruse what they offer all year round but for now, I am going to focus on their winter activities!
- Northpark – Their newest recreation facility, the Northpark features an indoor and outdoor pool, year-round outdoor hot tub, fitness center, + a ton of outdoor games in the summer too!
- Horsedrawn Carriage Rides – Catch a ride right from the North Hotel, where you’ll be taking on a little tour of the property in a pair of Clydesdales. Each ride lasts 10-15 minutes.
- Cross Country Skiing + Snowshoeing – Enjoy over 8 kilometers of groomed trails on the Pines Golf course. Snowshoes and Skiis are complimentary for guests.
- Skiing, Snowboarding, + Tubing – Guests can receive a discount off tubing, skiing, snowboarding, and rentals at the nearby Mount Ski Gull. Show your Grand View keycard and receive a 15% discount.
- Winter Bonfires – Throughout the property, you’ll find little pockets to escape and warm up by a crackling winter bonfires that are tended to regularly.
- Ice Skating – Near the North hotel, lace up your skates for a little hockey, broomball, or just some fun traditional ice skating with the lighted ice rinks on property. Ice Skates are not available for rent – make sure to bring your own!
- Snowmobiling – Bring your own or rent a snowmobile from Nisswa Adventure Rentals and have a fun day on the trails!
- Ice Fishing – Grand View offers Fish House Rentals from 4-8 hours. Inquire on Property.
- Inside activities – Don’t forget the inside activities too! Grand View caters to both the kid and adult crowds with tons of inside activities on a cold winter day! Think bingo, beer tastings, live music, yoga, + more. Schedule and activities change week to week!
- Chapel/Events Center – Looking for a space to get married or host a large gathering? There are SO many amazing options on property. Explore your options on their website for more information.
- Spa – Relax and recharge at their Glacial Waters Spa. Offering body treatments, massage, nail, and skin care services.
- Golf – Grand View Lodges operate 2 courses: The Pines & The Preserve
- Retail Shops
- Chocolate Ox
While you can jam-pack your time at Grand View alone, there are some fun places to explore in the nearby Brainerd Lakes area! Head out for a little brewery tour (make sure to have your designated driver along!), shop local, and fuel up with some amazing coffee too! See below for some of my favorite places while visiting Grand View Lodge. (Most of them are all within 5-10 minutes from the property!)
- Roundhouse Brewery
- Big Axe Brewery
- Jack Pine Brewery (Brainerd)
- Rafferty’s Pizza
- StoneHouse Coffee
- Chocolate Ox
- Copper Creek Garden Center
- Near + North
- Kisa Boutique
If you want to take a little morning or afternoon trip to Brainerd (just a 20-30 min drive) check out my favorite things to do in Brainerd here!
So needless to say, if you’re looking for a fun winter getaway, I highly recommend Grand View Lodge!